Singapore AGO

Singapore Chapter of the American Guild of Organists.

Welcome to the official website of the Singapore chapter of the American Guild of Organists.

Skip site navigation and move to main content of page.

Pipe Organs in Singapore

Prepared by Ong Te-Min

Modern Singapore was founded in 1819 by Sir Stamford Raffles. Several churches were established in Singapore shortly after Raffles arrival, among the earliest was the Roman Catholic church. And with the church came pipe organs. Some of the earliest instruments were noted at St. Andrew's church (today St. Andrew's cathedral) and the Scots Presbyterian church (present day Orchard Road Presbyterian church). There was even an orgue du choer by the Paris based firm of Cavaille-Coll installed in the church of Ss Peter & Paul.

We are left with a grand total of 10 working organs, 1 unplayable organ and a few small positive/portativ organs. This page is still in the process of being updated, if you have any further information on the pipe organs in Singapore please feel free to

List of Organs

Victoria Concert Hall Victoria Concert Hall (Klais orgelbau, 1987)
  Esplanade Concert Hall (Klais orgelbau, 2002)
Cathedral of the Good Shepherd Cathedral of the Good Shepherd (Gallery organ, Bevington & Son 1912)
Cathedral of the Good Shepherd Cathedral of the Good Shepherd (Choir organ, Robert Navaratnam)
St. Andrew's Cathedral St. Andrew's Cathedral (J.W. Walker, 1959, unplayable since 1980s)
Orchard Road Presbyterian Church

Orchard Road Presbyterian Church (Main organ, J.W. Walker 1962)

Orchard Road Presbyterian Church Orchard Road Presbyterian Church (Chapel organ, Walker & Taylor)
Kampong Kapor Methodist Church Kampong Kapor Methodist Church (Walker & Taylor)
Freemason Lodge Freemason Lodge (J.W. Walker 1970)
Norwegian Seaman's Mission Norwegian Seaman's Mission (Starup & Son, 1960)
Singapore Bible College Singapore Bible College (Laukhuff orgelbau, 1987)
The Walker Organ, Freemasons' Hall

Organs no Longer in Existence

  • Victoria Concert Hall (Hill, Norman & Beard, 1931)
  • Ss Peter & Paul (Cavaille-Coll, 1877)
  • St. Joseph Portugese Misson (Forster & Andrews, 1888)
  • St. Andrew's Church (Holdich, 1843/44; John Walker, 1862; Hill, Norman & Beard, 1929)